Stuffed okra and bhindi fry


Bhindi in hindi, also called as okra or lady finger in english. It contains potassium, vitamin B, C, folic acid, and Calcium. Its low in calories and has high dietary fiber content. Okra has been considered to manage blood sugar in diabetes. Hence lady finger is very good for health.


Bhindi chopped and prepared in little steam with just hint of masala use to be my favourite with ajwaen parathas. Yum. My mom use to make it crispy. I remember my mom use to make two types of okra on same day. Half being chopped ones and half stuffed kinds. Stuffing of spices _ fresh roasted jeera grounded and coriander powder, chilly powder n garam masala. Hot and spicy. Mom's dishes were always awesum. Unfortunately my son never liked lady fingers. Neither chopped nor stuffed. Lol I use to feed him forcefully telling that eating okra increases and improves maths skill. 😂😂😂 and he use to gulp for the sake of it.

Now a days he has developed taste for chatpati items so with little change in spices I once made stuffed bhindi for him. Just forced him to taste once... and now I dont have to ask him ... seeing lady finger he only ask me when am I making stuffed ones. Hahaha. Kids are unpredictable. We can make everything eatable for them without fuss with little alterations in cooking style, presentation and above all taste. Thats the reason why I keep learning new dishes from my friends so that my family dont discard any food item from meals.

This is my own recipe actually blend of few recipes I learned over time. Spices are same but additionally I included chaat masala and roasted besan to it. The new chatpati taste is really worthtrying. Kids would definately like it.In case you dont have besan you can replace it with sattu roasted. I tried once and it was equally yummy. Made no difference.

Recently I made one more change in the style of making it and it was also welcome by my family. I would name it bhindi fry. Would share both recipes with you here.

1. Stuffed okras

Ingredients
Lady finger 1/2 kg
Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Dhaniya powder 2 tsp
Red chilly powder 1 tsp
Haldi pinch
Hing pinch
Saunth 1/2 tsp
Chat masala 1 tsp
Fresh roasted jeera powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Roasted besan 3 -4 tsp
2_3 baby onions.
Oil 2 tbsp

Method
Wash throughly the lady fingers. Wipe dry.
Chop the heads and tail.
Cut slit on one side of each okra.

Now in a bowl mix all rest ingredients for filling. Taste and adjust spice or salt as per your liking.

Fill these spices in okras and keep aside.

Slit baby onions criss cross from two sides. Fill spices in this slit also.

In a flat pan put sarso oil. Let the smoke come and bitterness go. Switch off and let it cool.
Now again put the pan on gas. When little warm add the stuffed okra and onions. And let it cook until little brown from all sides. Keep tossing carefully to avoid to get them burnt. Keep it covered for first few minutes and then can cook open.

When its done. Serve hot garnishing with fresh chopped coriander leaves.

2. Bhindi fry

Ingredients are same (skip onion) and additionally I had taken boiled potato one chopped in small pieces.

Remove hed and tail of each and Chop bhindi in four pieces in length.

In a nonstick pan add oil(smoked and cooled before use) .
Now add okra and saute for 5 mins till they are crispy. Then add all spices as taken in above recipe alongwith potato. Saute, mix and cook covered for 3 mins. Its done.

Serve hot with chapati.


Comments

  1. A must try for sure. Looks so tempting.. I often make bhindi aloo and it tastes yum! Bhindi stir fried is another of my favorite okra recipes. Will try your version of stuffed bhindi next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O let me know yours stir fried one. Wud try. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you viveka. If you try do give me feedback. Would love to hear from you. 😆

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Instant choco kullfi

Red Energy Drink - Beetroot Pomegranate Apple Juice

Mango Frozen Yogurt